Our Homeschooling Adventure Begins!

I've been preparing my heart and mind for this for over a year now. We are officially homeschooling! This is both terrifying and so liberating; I am now responsible for my daughter's education. As if parenting isn't challenging enough on its own, I've also chosen to serve as my child's teacher-of-all-subjects.

I am truly so excited about this new adventure, but this decision to homeschool wasn't necessarily an easy one for me. I have essentially chosen to take Gracie away from the only school she's ever known and from the friends she's had since preschool. I gave up my teaching assistant position at this same school, a perfect situation for me, knowing I may never get that opportunity again.

I also know that homeschooling carries its own social stigma and it would be dishonest of me to say I'm completely unaffected by what my friends and family think about my choices. That being said, I've received so much support and encouragement from my loved ones and close friends. I've actually begun to relax a little when I tell people I'm homeschooling, instead of bracing myself for whatever reaction they may have. I've also found that most people are just curious about our decision and almost everyone I've talked with knows someone who homeschools. I feel like homeschooling is slowly becoming just another educational option, thrown right in with private school, public school, charter academies, etc. More and more families are choosing this route, so I hope it becomes more "normal" to those who aren't familiar with how far it's come over the years.

Ultimately, as Sean and I considered the options, we knew we had to give it all to God and allow Him to steer us in the right direction. Over the course of this past year, I've spent countless hours reading books on curriculum options and homeschooling approaches, and I've browsed numerous websites. I've laid awake at night running all of the pros and cons through my mind. I've been welcomed into the homes of homeschooling moms that I know and everyone I've spoken to has been more than willing, even excited, to share their experiences.

I have prayed and prayed and asked for a sign from above. I have questioned my ability to teach my own child. I have worried that I'm not smart enough, patient enough, qualified enough for this undertaking. But, I've discovered that when God puts a thing like this on your heart, and when you feel that you are being nudged in a certain direction, you cannot allow fear and worry and self-doubt to interfere. I choose to trust God and I choose to submit to the path I feel He has chosen for us. I am now so excited for all that homeschooling will bring to my life, and to my daughter's educational experience.

We will have so much more time together and will be able to truly bond, something I've missed since sending her off to kindergarten. She's at an age where our relationship as mother and daughter is so very important, as it always is, but I want to focus on building a trust and understanding between us. I want to be intentional as I guide her through the coming years.

I love that we will have this one on one teaching/learning time, where she's free and comfortable to ask questions and comment on what interests or confuses her. We have already been able to discuss the new topics being introduced and I have loved hearing her thoughts on our very first chapter in history. We will be free to stop when we'd like to expand on a topic and we can breeze through what comes easily to her. We have joined a co-op where she will experience a full day of classes every week, reviewing much of what we've covered during the course of the week and also receiving new instruction in Latin and writing/grammar. We will also both begin building new friendships. There will be some stepping outside of comfort zones, for both of us, and I'm happy about this.

I want Gracie to see that we can learn because we have a genuine desire to learn. And I want her to know that there is always, always room for stretching and growing and moving beyond what you believed you were capable of.

In the future, Ethan may join us on this journey. For now, he's happily attending kindergarten with a classroom full of friends and two of the best teachers possible. I believe with all my heart that this is going to be one of the best school years ever for all of us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decisions, Decisions...

The end is near.

Hilton Head.