New Year's Resolutions.
With the arrival of a new year comes the hope that good things are in store. It's a fresh start. I'm going to forget where I fell short last year and instead focus on being the best I can be in the days to come.


I'd like to be a more patient spouse and mother. I need to learn to chill out. I want to think before I speak, and watch my tone when I do... I'd also like to get creative, but without any pressure. This may come in the form of trying new recipes, finding ways to get crafty with the kids, writing, or photography. Maybe I'll dive into all of these...maybe I'll find inspiration in something else entirely. I know myself well enough to know that when it comes, I'll know and I'll go with it.
I also want to travel more to see family, plan a few fun trips, save a little money... I want to focus on all that is right in my world and never take it for granted.
I'm a few days behind, but these plans are officially set in motion, starting... now.
This year, we watched the ball drop with Ryan and Bekah (my 17 year old brother-in-law and his girlfriend of two years). We took time during the final 30 minutes of 2011 to write down our resolutions for 2012. I asked them to list any hopes they had for the coming year, along with any goals they plan to reach. For Ryan, I'm sure graduation and college are on his list, although I won't know for certain what anyone listed until the end of 2012. Our lists are sealed in a special jar that will remain closed until we open it on December 31, 2012. By then, we will have likely forgotten some of what we wrote and it will be fun to see how much we were able to accomplish! My mother began this tradition years ago, and even though she and I didn't celebrate together this year like we have done in the past, I kept her fun tradition alive in my house!


My list includes the predictable "lose weight", but also other goals and my hopes for others. I look forward to watching Ryan graduate and go to college this year, and I'm excited to welcome a new niece or nephew in June. I plan on experiencing a little personal growth, too. There is always room for improvement, and while some level of growth will occur naturally, there are a few things I will focus on intentionally.
I also want to travel more to see family, plan a few fun trips, save a little money... I want to focus on all that is right in my world and never take it for granted.
I'm a few days behind, but these plans are officially set in motion, starting... now.
Resoltions are fun. I like your mom's tradition. I may steal it next year! I think I may write all mine out too. I can help you with that crafty one. ;-) Want to quilt? Scrapbook (I haven't touched mine in uears!)? You just call me up! Haha We should plan a night of Daddy daycare and just mamas get together. ;-)
ReplyDeleteI love Jade's idea for crafty mamas nights :-) That's one of my goals, too. What a cute idea to write your resolutions down and see how they ended up a year from now. I hope 2012 is a great year for you and your family! Sounds like there are some fun times in store already!
ReplyDeleteI really love your New Year's tradition - I might have to steal that next year (although thank goodness for my blog, so I at least have some way to remember/be accountable for my yearly goals!). I was shocked to see you mention "being crafty" as one of your goals, because - and this is based on your blog - you seem to be one of the more naturally crafty mamas I know!!!
ReplyDelete