The ending of a great beginning.
My little girl celebrated her last day of her first year of
preschool this afternoon. We crowded together in the hallway, those of us
waiting to watch our little ones walk out of that classroom door for the last
time. Mrs. B tentatively opened the door, an expression of hesitation on her
face, tears already in her eyes. This ending is bittersweet, for me certainly,
but perhaps even more so for her. I have watched her love these children with
hugs, smiles, and good morning songs. My heart has been warmed at the sight of
a child spontaneously throwing their tiny arms around her, and while watching
her kneel down to gently talk to her students eye to eye. Summer breaks are
wonderful, full of big plans, vacations, and lazy days, but goodbyes are hard
and even I will miss seeing this group of children together.
I knew that preschool was right for Gracie and, in Mrs. B’s care, she has grown in so many ways over these past months. She's learned so much, and apparently “retains information easily” and is “eager to learn”, just like her Daddy (thank goodness!). Academics aside, though, Gracie has really seemed to bloom socially. I’ve noticed it during my short visits to the classroom, but it was also written within her End of Year Report, which was a wonderful thing to read, as it was a hope of mine.
Gracie and her friend, Reagan.
I knew that preschool was right for Gracie and, in Mrs. B’s care, she has grown in so many ways over these past months. She's learned so much, and apparently “retains information easily” and is “eager to learn”, just like her Daddy (thank goodness!). Academics aside, though, Gracie has really seemed to bloom socially. I’ve noticed it during my short visits to the classroom, but it was also written within her End of Year Report, which was a wonderful thing to read, as it was a hope of mine.
Mrs. B sent home handmade scrapbooks for each child today. What
a thoughtful and precious gift. There are so many pictures that I’ve never seen
of Gracie with her classmates, doing so many things I never knew she did! It
has been such a wonderful, memorable year for Gracie, but also for Sean and I.
While I will miss Gracie’s teachers from this year, I am also looking forward
to all that Gracie will learn and experience when she starts back for her final
year of preschool in August. Surely, next school year will be even more
bittersweet, knowing kindergarten is the next step… No need to think about that
now, though. :)
Gracie, I am so very proud of you and your many
accomplishments during your first school year! You have impressed me with your
creativity and excitement for learning new things. Way to go, big girl!

A personal scrapbook for each kid? Wow how cool! I am nervously awaiting Dawson's last day of his school on Friday, and hoping I don't turn into a bawling idiot of a parent :-) It's so bittersweet to think this signals another year down, another year older. Time goes to quickly. I love the photo of her with her friend!
ReplyDeleteThose are two beautiful girls! They look like sisters!
ReplyDelete