Late Night Thoughts.

It's 12:45am... I'm sitting comfortably, rocking Ethan, in the same glider I've already spent hours in, rocking Grace. My tiny boy is sleeping, he loves movement, and he loves to be in arms that love him. Luckily, he has both now and I'm enjoying listening to his soft breathing and the other sounds of a sleeping newborn. I love rubbing his head, his hair is so soft. I love kissing his cheeks, and nose, and feet... He's a kissable little guy.

I've only spent 5 days with this sweet baby boy on the "outside", but I'm struck by how well I already know him. I love seeing some of what I only felt just days ago. He punches with his tiny fists when he's hungry and kicks both legs out simultaneously when he's mad. I used to laugh at these very kicks and punches when my stomach would go wild with baby movements. I know at some point I'm likely to miss watching him in action in my tummy, but not much comes close to explaining how I feel now that he is here. He's like the missing piece to our family puzzle.

Watching Gracie with her baby brother over the past few days has been an experience all of its own. I will not ever forget the moment she walked into the birthing suite after his birth. She looked so big... she looked uncertain, yet excited. I recall that she wanted to sit with me, so I pulled her up beside me so that I could squeeze my big girl. She sat on the hospital bed with me and her brother, she smiled, she kissed his head, she told us he was "handsome". It really wasn't that long ago that she was the one being placed on my chest for the first time. Meeting Ethan was so similar. I love when laughter and tears coexist in moments where words are useless.


My family is everything to me. I've spent the days since Ethan's birth discovering that my heart is full and overwhelmed. I'm taking time during feedings and diaper changes, Nick Jr. shows and story time to just live in the present with my children. This time is so brief, I don't want to miss a thing. I'm silently begging them not to grow up too fast...

I look at my husband and can't even explain to him how I feel when I watch him with our babies. I haven't figured out what to say to the man who's made my dreams come true. I'd love to bottle up the way I feel right now... I'd love to stop time and linger in these moments with my little ones.



Comments

  1. Precious thoughts. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are taking the time to savor all those little moments! They are sadly, gone in the blink of an eye. I hope you are all enjoying this week together! I can't wait to catch up and hold little Ethan again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you. Savor these moments! Every single sleepless second, every bit of baby breath, and firsts with your two beautiful babies. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Decisions, Decisions...

The end is near.

Hilton Head.