20 Months.
My boy turned 20 months old on February 16th! I am quite honestly in awe of how quickly the time since his birth has gone. I have started to embrace the fact that he is likely (see how I'm still not 100% there yet?) my last baby, so the further away from "baby" we get, the more I squirm at the idea of never doing this again. On the other hand, I have been blessed with two healthy pregnancies, two beautiful birthing experiences, and one child of each gender. It seems like a good time to wrap up the child-bearing part of my life and move on with my focus on raising the two I already have. I imagine that at some point it will be easy for me to make a more definite statement than the one above, but for now "likely" feels okay.
Enough about that!
Ethan Reid, you are this hilarious little human being. You make me laugh every single day. You surprise me every single day. You challenge me, test my patience, and demonstrate your strong-will every day. No matter how many temper-tantrums you throw, or how many times you embarrass me in public, I end each day thanking God for you and I'm endlessly amazed at how one simple grin from you melts my heart completely.
Over the past 2 months, you've decided you really enjoy doing things for yourself, including walking unassisted across crowded parking lots (I don't actually allow this to happen). You do love the freedom that comes with walking on your own, though.
That being said, it shouldn't surprise you to hear that you really, really dislike being strapped into anything - car seat, stroller, grocery cart, etc. This has been a daily struggle lately.
On to more things you do like!
-You love being outdoors; you're most content when left to wander around outside. (You get pretty upset when it's time to come back inside.)
-You love cars of any kind, balls of any kind, trains, drums... I enjoy watching you run your cars along the coffee table, and listen as you make quiet "vroom" noises as you play.
-You play really well on your own. This is a skill that is especially helpful when Gracie is at school and I have things that need to get done. You enjoy playing in your room with your many trucks, blocks, or books.
-Speaking of books, you love to have us read to you! This makes me so happy.
-You are "all boy", as they say. You are a jumper and a climber and a thrower; you are fascinated with anything that has wheels.
Lately, we've noticed an increase in your vocabulary. You speak very clearly for a not-quite-two-year-old. You're favorite phrases/words are: "Stop it", "Let me go", and "No"... You've also started putting short sentences together. For example, you might tell me while looking through a book that "It's a ball" or call for Daddy asking "Where are you?" You even say "thank you" without being prompted from time to time! Your voice is beyond precious. Hearing you say Momma is still my favorite. :-)
(Saying "hi" to one of the horses at Lawton Stables in Sea Pines while vacationing in Hilton Head.)
Ethan, I love you! I'm so grateful for this journey as mommy to you and your sister.

Happy 20 months, sweet boy! We love you!
ReplyDelete